*One owner from new *Circa 2,494 miles recorded *Full service history *Recently re-commissioned
Intended to spearhead Ford's international rallying campaign, the Escort RS Cosworth made its winning debut in Spain's Talavera Rally in 1990. Production commenced in February 1992 and the car entered World Rally Championship competition the following year, enjoying outstanding success in the hands of works drivers François Delecour and Miki Biasion. Although the RS Cosworth strongly resembled the Escort road car, it was in fact based on a shortened Sierra 4x4 floor pan and used the latter's running gear. This meant that, unlike the mainstream Mk V Escort, the RS Cosworth mounted its engine fore-and-aft rather than transversely; it also used the Sierra 4x4's five-speed manual transmission, which featured permanent four-wheel drive and a 34/66% front/rear power split.
A front air dam, flared wheelarches and an outrageous 'whale tail' rear spoiler - all necessary for effective competition - gave the Escort RS Cosworth a road presence that few cars could match, while electric windows, central locking, tinted glass and a sunroof were all standard features. The power unit was Cosworth's familiar 2.0-litre, 16-valve, four-cylinder YBT equipped with a Garrett turbocharger, in road trim producing 227bhp. All that horsepower in a nimble, compact car made for stupendous performance: 0-60mph in 6.2 seconds, 138mph top speed; the end of production in January 1996 was a sad day for many. Only 7,145 cars were produced over a four-year period, and today this 'cult classic' is one of the most sought after of modern high-performance Fords.
This ultra low-mileage, one-owner example was purchased new from John Grose Ford of Ipswich by Kingsley Curtis, since when it has been garage stored and used sparingly. Serviced annually by John Grose up to 1998 (at 2,449 miles), it was MoT'd annually thereafter and re-commissioned by them in September 2015, including a full service and replacement of the cam belt and pulleys (invoice on file). The current odometer reading is only 2,494 miles. Presented in excellent condition, this quite exceptional Escort RS Cosworth is offered with MoT to June 2016 and a V5C registration document.
1920 Bean 11.9hp Tourer Registration no. not UK registered Chassis no. to be advised Engine no. 26611
Established component suppliers to the British motor industry, the Staffordshire-based firm of Harper Sons & Bean had turned its Dudley and Tipton factories over to munitions production during the Great War. With hostilities at an end, the company turned to motor manufacturing, acquiring the rights to the pre-war Perry 11.9hp from Willys-Overland. The Perry was powered by a 1,796cc sidevalve four with fixed cylinder head, which drove via a cone clutch, separate three-speed gearbox and spiral bevel rear axle. At the end of 1920, the company was wound up, re-emerging some twelve months later in reconstituted form. The 'Twelve' was still the mainstay of production and would remain so until 1927. The last Bean passenger cars were made in 1929.
One of approximately 10,000 Bean Twelves built between 1919 and 1927, this example was discovered in a field in New Zealand in 1967 by Kingsley's childhood friend Chris Pask. Restoration commenced in NZ in the early 1970s but was not completed. Kingsley Curtis acquired the Bean in 1990 and continued the rebuild, the bodywork being restored by David Friswell and the mechanicals by Peter Barber-Lomax. The restoration has been completed apart from the dickey seat and convertible hood. It should be noted that the cylinder block and radiator have been changed (originals with car) and the cylinder head has got a small crack in it which has recently been repaired. Offered with sundry bills.The car is import duties paid.
The 220 S saloon debuted in its new 'Ponton' form in 1956. Featuring unitary construction of the chassis/body, all-round independent suspension and drum brakes, it was powered by a 2,195cc overhead-camshaft six-cylinder engine developing 100bhp and was good for a top speed of around 160km/h. A shorter wheelbase was adopted for the Cabriolet and Coupé models. Apart from a power increase to 106bhp in 1957, the 220 S changed little in the course of its comparatively short life, production ceasing in October 1959. Fewer than 3,500 Coupés and Cabriolets were built in that time and today these elegant and exclusive limited-edition models are highly prized.
The 220 S Cabriolet offered here is one of the later models with the more powerful engine. Its accompanying (copy) build sheet shows that the car was delivered on 6th June 1957 finished in Hellblau (light blue) with cream leather interior. A high-quality older restoration that still presents well, the car has been refinished in Dark Forest Green and has a tan leather interior embellished with mahogany woodwork. The paintwork and fabric convertible hood are in very good condition, as is the original instrumentation and exterior brightwork. Noteworthy features include the original Becker multi-band radio, factory-fitted clock, and a tonneau cover. A welcome addition to any collection, this stylish and well maintained 220 S cabriolet is offered with Portuguese registration papers.
1952 Jaguar MK VII Chassis no. 713431 Engine no. A77707
*Original right-hand-drive manual gearbox car *Mille Miglia eligible *Superstylish grande routière *Circa 42,000 miles from new
Inspired by the performance of a Jaguar Mark VII in the Mille Miglia of 1953, when one finished 2nd in class, the vendor, a member of the Jaguar Drivers' Club and Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club, acquired this example in New Zealand following a 12-month global search. This particular car was distinguished by its sound chassis and the fact that it had not suffered from the usual ravages of rust and poor maintenance.
As well as the gruelling Mille Miglia, the Mark VII acquitted itself admirably in a variety of other significant motor sports events including the Monte Carlo Rally (won outright in 1956 by Ronnie Adams) and the annual production car race at Silverstone, an event won by the Mark VII consecutively from 1952 to 1956. Jaguar's winning drivers were Stirling Moss (1952, 1953), Ian Appleyard (1954), Mike Hawthorn (1955) and Ivor Bueb (1956). There were also notable entries in the Tour de France Automobile race and Le Carrera Panamericana, making the early Mark VII eligible for some of the most prestigious of present-day historic 're-runs'. Sir Stirling Moss once described the Mark VII as 'a fantastic car... nobody thought that it would do any good, but it really was very good.'
Road tests of the day were unanimous in their praise of the Mark VII's class leading road-holding and handling rivalling a period Bentley Continental, and for its ability to combine Grace, Space and Pace. A standard Mark VII fitted with a C-type spec head even managed to do a record 121.13 m.p.h. over a flying mile in 1953 at Jabbeke in the hands of Jaguar test driver Norman Dewis.
Chassis number '713431' has had only four owners from new, passing to its second owner in July 1967 and the third in March 1997, both in Christchurch. The car was restored in New Zealand during the period 1997 to 2004. On its arrival in the UK circa 2014, this Mark VII was checked over by a noted early Jaguar specialist firm with over £5,000 spent on returning the brakes, suspension and steering to top condition to ensure the car drove as its maker intended.
The Jaguar had been purchased with the intention of competing in the Mille Miglia as it is a fast, comfortable car with excellent ride and handling. It was felt that, because the Mark VII in right-hand drive, manual transmission form is hard to find in good condition (XK120s and XK140s are far more numerous), the likelihood of an entry would be enhanced. It had been intended that the Mark VII would be crewed by the vendor and his 14-year old son, but unfortunately the Mille Miglia regulations require that co-drivers hold a driving licence, so other rally events with a different car are now being planned hence the Mark VII being offered for sale.
Described by the vendor as in generally excellent condition, running well, the car is equipped with a modern five-speed manual gearbox (also offered with original Moss unit); modern stereo system; windscreen washers; period-style flashing indicators front and rear; and period-type cutaway rear spats. The original red leather interior is said to have a mellowed patina, with no cracks to the upholstery and very good woodwork. Most original tools come with the car stored in the original door locker and boot.
Accompanying documentation consists of a full history of the car's New Zealand ownership, including the old NZ logbook; a UK V5C registration document; the MoT certificate from importation in 2014; and recent bills. Also included in the sale is a selection of period advertising and road tests; an owner's manual and workshop manual; a period parts catalogue and various reference books.